A COPY OF'RIGHTS OF PRISONERS' DISPLAYED IN JAILS,PUDUCHERRY UT
• Every prisoner has right for medical attention.
• Every prisoner can meet Chief Superintendent of Jails / IG Prisons / Chief Judge and express his/her grievances if any. He can write to them also.
• Every prisoner has right to meet his family as per prescribed procedure (convicts once in 14 days, U.T prisoners once in 7 days.)
• Every prisoner has right to sanitation as per rules.
• Every prisoner has right to food as per prescribed rules.
• Every prisoner is entitled to recreation as per rules.
• Every prisoner has right to earn remission in conviction period by way of good conduct. Every prisoner is however, liable for punishment for offences committed by him under prison law.
• Every prisoner has right to seek legal advice / assistance. For this purpose, a representative of legal services authority visits prison regularly.
• Every prisoner has right to ask for premature release after 14 years in case of life imprisonment, subject to rules.
• Every prisoner has right to do prayers during the hours prescribed by the jail superintendent.
• Every prisoner has right for educational facilities as per rules.
• Every prisoner has right to communicate with the family members / friends by writing letters to them.
• Female prisoners have right to separate enclosure and other concessions as per rules.
• Jail rules are available in jail Yard and library.
• Every Prisoner has right to wages for the work done by him/her.
• Prisoner's request for parole will generally considered with sympathy but subject to rules.
• Female prisoners can keep their children below 6 years with them.
GO TO TOP